Agenda and minutes

Goldthorpe Town Deal Board - Thursday 25 May 2023 2.00 pm

Modern.Gov app logo app available
View upcoming public committee documents on your iPad/iPhone, Android or Windows device with the free app.

Venue: Goldthorpe Parish Hall

No. Item


Apologies - Chair


Matthew Stephens was nominated as temporary chair.


Apologies were received from Apologies were received from Sarah Cartwright, Claire Dawson, John Healey MP, Jess Baxter, Julie Tattershall, Chris McGinley, Rebecca Slack, Colin Buxton, Mark Bell.



Minutes from the Previous Meeting - Chair


The minutes were accepted as a true record.

Actions from previous meeting and matters arising:


            Town Plan Update


Key decisions / items for escalation to board

Overall Programme: An expression of interest exercise to ensure sufficient Project Sponsors for each project will be circulated March 23 and will include a request to show sectors and skills that Board members can represent and some equalities recording. Documents issued, some responses outstanding.


Project G Cultural Hub


Action: Rachael to liaise with BPS to ensure all planning conditions are adhered to. Ongoing.


Project F Phoenix Park


Action:  Rachael Allington advised that as the tunnel is a highways structure the team will liaise with the Highways Department to discuss concerns.


Action:  The Land Trust to liaise with Jack Regan to discuss Designing Out Crime. Completed.


Action:  To consider inviting a police representative to join the Board as part of the ongoing membership review. Ongoing, to be discussed as part of Board review item.




Action: Mike to attempt to make contact with Erica Hart with a view to request permission to use drone footage of the Dearne Playhouse.  Completed


Any Other Business


Housing Query raised by Alison Dalton:

Goldthorpe former market site works are ongoing, however, the team are struggling to link in to Goldthorpe Primary School, do any Board members have any links?


Action: Councillor Bellamy to speak directly with the Headteacher of Goldthorpe Primary School on behalf of the Towns Fund.  Completed


Councillor Coates offered at the May meeting to facilitate an introduction to the Headteacher at Carrfield Primary if the Housing Team would like to link in with them.



Declarations of Interest - All




Project Updates

Employment Land Deep Dive – Suzanne Brough and CBRE


Housing Updates – Alison Dalton and Julie Tattershall




Project K & L Employment Land & Commercial Investment Fund Deep Dive – Suzanne Brough

A copy of the presentation was circulated with the Board papers.


Question from Councillor Coates – A Billingley resident raised a query re: increased traffic in the area, could traffic calming measures be introduced through the village?

Action: Suzanne to investigate the query as part of Traffic Assessments which will be carried out as part of the planning permission that will be prepared and submitted by the developer.


Question from Matthew Stephens – Where is the sign advertising the development?

Action: Suzanne & Mike chasing up the sign as this should have been installed on the A635 by Highways when the works began.


The intention is for the project to return to Board in July regarding the applications received and due diligence process completed as part of the Commercial Investment Fund (CIF).


Question from Andy Lock – Can indicative locations be provided for the Companies that have applied for CIF.

Response from Suzanne – This can’t be provided until the due diligence process has been completed.


Question from Matthew Stephens – Can the works begin sooner than quoted in the presentation?

Response from BMBC – Due diligence and Council processes must be adhered to in order to ensure value for money.


Question from Andy Lock – When will the Board be able to see the proposed outputs?

Response from Suzanne – The intention is that the information will be provided when the project returns to the Board in July.




Projects D & M – Goldthorpe Housing & Housing Retrofit Verbal Updates – Alison Dalton

A presentation will be circulated to Board members along with the minutes.


Matthew Stephens is a temporary project sponsor for the housing project – Alison would like others to volunteer to become a permanent project sponsor if possible.


Alison – The Housing Team are willing to take Board members on future fact-finding visits to other areas prior to the plans being submitted for the planning permission.  Contact Alison or Julie Tattershall if interested.



Question from Cllr Coates – Timescale clarification required regarding the consultations to be carried out.

Response from Alison – Consultations to be carried out in June at Goldthorpe Library by the Warm Homes Team to help reduce the CPC rating of properties to C.  Safer Streets Funding bid to be submitted once the details are announced for the next funding round.


Question from Cllr Bellamy  Will the double yellow lines be removed from outside the Post Office as the Market Street car park is now closed off?

Action:  Alison to investigate a temporary solution to this issue whilst the works are ongoing.


Question from Cllr Bellamy – Can an update be provided regarding a planning application for housing on an existing allotment site?

Action: Alison to investigate and provide updates to the next Board meeting.


Question from Andy Lock – How can the Board be involved in the consultation process?

Action: Alison to arrange a workshop session in the summer for  ...  view the full minutes text for item 380.


Monitoring and Evaluation return update and Town Investment Plan - Rachael Allington and Rebecca Gamble


A document relating to the Monitoring & Evaluation Return was circulated with the Board papers.

Copies of Plan on a page and the Forward Plan were circulated for information.


Monitoring & Evaluation Report

Does not currently include information on the housing retrofit project as no monies have been paid in relation to this to date.

Board Decision required – Can the Board agree for the temporary Chair to sign the M&E report prior to the document being returned to DHLUC?

Decision:  The Board agreed with this proposal.

Question from Andy Lock – What is DLUHCs threshold for the release of monies?

Response from Justin Homer – The monies are provided as Capital spend to the Council and can’t be clawed back.  However, underspend could potentially affect the monies provided the following financial year.  All monies to be spent by March 2025.

Question from Matthew Stephens - Has the full £23m been paid to BMBC?

Response from Rachael Allington – Monies are released to Local Authorities in tranches.

Any suggestions from Board regarding the presentation of future M&E summaries to be provided to Becca. 

Question from Cllr Coates – What information can Councillors provide to the public in response to queries receive?

Action:  Becca Gamble and Mike Cotton to review the existing FAQs with Councillors.

Six Month Spotlight Report


Rachael presented the six month spotlight report which was circulated with the Board papers.

We have now had all 7 projects approved by DLUHC. The final approval for Housing Retrofit has only recently been received therefore the programme status remains as Amber status whilst we review the impact that the long wait time for all approvals has had across delivery. Project Leads are reviewing spend and outputs, and phasing their works to mitigate the issue of Rising Costs.


A Board Review is being carried out as part of the move into delivery for all projects. This now includes some recommendations and discussion points with regards to reviewing and widening membership. We hope to invite all new agreed members to the July Board where we can agree a Temporary Chair and a Vice Chair. We recommend that each project should have at least 2 Project Sponsors from Board to ensure projects can develop between Board meetings, with key representation from Board. We will provide an update on the current status of sponsors at the May Board and would like to ensure all gaps are filled at the July Board when we have our new membership agreed.


The Monitoring & Evaluation Return is due for submission to DLUHC on 9th June 2023. We have therefore produced this Spotlight Report which focusses on the 6 month reporting period (October 22 to March 23) to summarise some of the key information within and context to that Report. The draft copy will be circulated which is subject to due diligence checks, if any amends we will share an updated copy with Board.

Project Updates

Project D Goldthorpe Housing

Update provided in Item 4.

Project F Phoenix  ...  view the full minutes text for item 381.


Board Review - Rebecca Gamble


A slide deck was circulated with the Board papers.

Board Membership – suggestions to be provided to Becca for widening the membership.


Election of Chair and Vice Chair to be discussed at the meeting in July.


Decision: Board agreed for BMBC to invite representatives from Berneslai Homes, Planning, Highways to attend on an ad hoc basis.


Action: ‘Meet the Board’ – Becca to work with Mike to increase the exposure of the Board in the area both online and within the community.


Action: To invite Stephanie Peacock MP to future meetings in preparation for boundary changes to constituencies which will coincide with the next general election.


Action: To discuss with SYMCA the need for a representative to attend regularly.


Action:  To approach the new supermarket provider on the former Goldthorpe Primary School site once the building is in place.


Action: To approach local solicitors regarding representation on the Board.


Action: To approach members of the Chamber of Commerce as recommended by Matthew Stephens.


Action: To approach SYPTE for potential membership.


Question from Andy Lock – How large could the Board become and still be viable? 

Response:  The Board will continue to evolve as the projects develop, which could create fluid membership.  Engagement with specific groups could be investigated at different stages.


Action: To feedback to Principal Towns on Business Engagement progress.


Action: Alison to discuss with Berneslai Homes regarding potential resident involvement.



Communication Plan - Mike Cotton


Update provided by Mike Cotton.  A slide deck was shared at the meeting, to be circulated to Board members with the minutes.


Tree dedication for Alan Gardiner to be added as The Heart of Goldthorpe project develops.

The final design for the square has been presented to the Board previously.

Decision required from Board regarding press release wording.

Decision: Board agreed for the quote to be provided by the ‘Acting Chair’.




Government Updates - Justin Homer


Update provided by Justin Homer.


            Conference in Manchester in June for all Towns Boards.

Payment made in April for the Commercial Investment Fund, payments for other projects including Phoenix Park in June.

Spot checks to be carried out by DLHUC on Town Deal Projects.

Suggested to invite DLHUC to visit Goldthorpe once The Heart of Goldthorpe works begin ot showcase the Goldthorpe Town Deal and to provide constructive feedback to potentially assist future DLUHC project appraisals.  This relates to an outstanding action for the Board to approach DLHUC regarding delays to approval of projects.



South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority - Rebecca Slack


No update available as Rebecca Slack was unable to attend the in-person meeting.




Forward Plan - Rachael Allington


The future forward plan for agenda items was presented by Rachael.


Thursday 6th July 2023


Heart of Goldthorpe Deep Dive

Board Review Outcome – Chair (Temp) Vice Chair / Voting

Business Engagement Review

Thursday 17th August 2023 Teams

Cultural Hub Deep Dive

Thursday 12th October 2023 (Face to Face TBC)

Goldthorpe Housing Deep Dive

Housing Retrofit Deep Dive


Decision: Meeting scheduled for 17th August to remain rather than be moved to the beginning of September.



Any Other Business / Horizon Scanning - All


Councillor Coates – Wished to have thanks noted to BMBC Officers for all their hard work.

Behind the scenes access can be arranged to the Market Street Housing site should any Board members wish to visit.  Members to contact Alison Dalton if interested.


Date and Time of Next Meeting - Thursday 6th July 2023 Teams.