The Head of Internal Audit and Corporate Anti-Fraud will submit an Annual report on counter fraud related activity undertaken by Internal Audit’s Corporate Anti-Fraud Team from 1st April 2018 to 31st March, 2019
The Head of Internal Audit and Corporate Anti-Fraud submitted an Annual report on counter fraud related activity undertaken by the Internal Audit’s Corporate Anti-Fraud Team from 1st April, 2018 to 31st March, 2019.
The Team continued to provide the Council with a full, professional counter fraud and investigation service for fraud attempted or committed against the Council.
Particular reference was made to:
· Pro-active Anti-Fraud and Corruption Activity for 2018/19 and reference was made to:
o The success of the Fraud Awareness week – it was noted that due to this success a further week was being planned
o Bribery Act E-Learning which could be accessed through the Council’s corporate e-learning platform (POD)
o The National Fraud Initiative
· Reactive Fraud Work with reference to
o Detecting and investigation Fraud
o Corporate investigations
o Council tax Support Investigations
o Council Tax
o Non domestic rates
o Insurance claims
o Right to buy
o Direct Payment/Personal Budgets
o Housing/Tenancy Fraud
In the ensuing discussion the following matters were highlighted:
· Members were particularly pleased at the success of the Fraud Awareness Week
· It was noted that discussions were progressing to examine whether or not fraud training could be made mandatory
· It was noted that the success and impact of the service meant that it would probably self-sustaining financially
· Reference was made to the recommendations of the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors which suggested that Internal Audit should have unrestricted access to all aspects of the Council’s business and it was pleasing to note that this was something that was permitted and indeed encouraged in Barnsley
RESOLVED that the annual Fraud Report which forms part of the framework of assurances to support the Annual Governance statement be noted and that the Committee encourage the Authority to continue to embed a culture of zero tolerance and high levels of awareness regarding fraud and corruption.