John Twigg and colleagues were welcomed to the meeting to provide an update on the work Twiggs Grounds Maintenance were undertaking in the area on behalf of the Area Council.
This included improvements in the following areas:-
· Cawthorne – including at Cannon Hall, at Cawthorne Pre-School and in local lay-bys;
· Hoylandswaine – including at the Lord Nelson Pub and Rose and Crown Pub;
· Wortley – to erect Christmas trees, improve footpaths and clear drainage preventing standing water;
· Silkstone – with Silkstone Common Primary School and the Huskar 180 Group;
· Tankersley – working with local businesses including McDonalds to tidy the area;
· Green Moor – creating wildlife habitats, clearing pathways/steps, landscaping, seeding and trimming;
· Oxspring – Cleaning/Picnic session at Old Bower Bridge, litter picks at Castle Dam;
· Ingbirchwork – at the nature reserve entrance;
· Langsett – working with local businesses to tidy the area;
· Thurlstone – with Daisy Chains School building habitats, and Thurlstone/Millhouse Green Women’s Institution to clear litter from the main road;
· Millhouse Green – working with volunteers at Royd Community Garden;
· Water Meadows Park – clearing steps/pathways/seating, and building habitats;
· Thurgoland – working with the school to tidy footpaths and trim trees/hedges and with volunteers to improve foodpaths;
· Penistone Town Centre – working with staff at Tesco, History Archive Group, Springvale Community Garden, and Penistone FM. Work with St John’s Primary prior to the Tour De Yorkshire to clear weeds and litter from the street.
Members noted the schedule of regular activities throughout the area, and the future developments planned for the service. The latter included working with groups to ensure their sustainability, working to create more volunteering opportunities and promoting the service.
RESOLVED that the feedback be noted and thanks be given to Twiggs Grounds Maintenance for the work undertaken on behalf of the Area Council.