Tracy Leach, Health and Wellbeing Officer, was welcomed to the meeting and delivered a presentation regarding the Safe and Well initiative here in Barnsley. Key points to note included:
· This is a national movement, being rolled out across South Yorkshire, building on existing fire safety checks and including falls prevention and identifying cold homes.
· The initial focus is on vulnerable people aged 65+ and those with disabilities who are most at risk. A pilot is due to be launched in February 2018 and will be rolled out across the Borough later in the year.
· In Barnsley 47000 people smoke – 23.3% of population. Emergency hospital admissions due to falls is 2282.6 per 100,000 65+. In addition 11.3% of households in Barnsley experience fuel poverty.
· Partners include Barnsley MBC, South Yorkshire Police, South Yorkshire Housing Association, Berneslai Homes, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, Dementia Action Alliance, SWYFT and Age UK.
· Help from the Area Council is needed to raise the profile of the Safe and Well checks, to support the launch at Cudworth Station and to encourage local services who work with vulnerable people aged 65+ in the pilot area to become referrers to the scheme.
RESOLVED that the Area Council support the initiative and that Tracey Leach be thanked for her attendance and contribution.