Agenda and minutes

Goldthorpe Town Deal Board - Wednesday, 19th May, 2021 2.00 pm


modern.gov app available
View upcoming public committee documents on your iPad, Android Device or Windows 10 with the free modern.gov app.

Venue: THIS MEETING WILL BE HELD VIRTUALLY. View directions

Contact: Elizabeth Steel / Jess Whiting 

Items
No. Item

157.

Apologies

Speaker: Chair

Minutes:

Andy Lock, Allan Joyce, Mike Cotton, Sophie Moore, Cllr Alan Gardiner, Jennefer Holmes, Elizabeth Steel, Natalie Ward, Gavin McMurtry, John Hayes.

158.

Minutes from the Previous Meeting

Speaker: Chair

Minutes:

The minutes were proposed by Cllr May Noble and seconded by Cllr Neil Danforth.

 

An action from the previous meeting was to request the Markets team to provide an update at this meeting. Unfortunately, they were unable to attend for an update, but will attend the June meeting. There were no further matters arising.

159.

Declaration of Interest

Speaker: All

Minutes:

·         May Noble – Trustee at the Dearne Playhouse

·         Michael Bunting – Goldthorpe Railway Embankment

·         Claire Dawson – Goldthorpe Railway Embankment

160.

Town Plan Update

Speaker: Paul Clifford

Minutes:

The Heads of Terms have been agreed by the Government. The next key milestone is now being worked towards to submit the project summary documents to MHCLG. These are due to be submitted on Monday 24th May. All documents are finalised, and the Chair signed this week. A Council officer for Section 151 now needs to sign off, which is scheduled for later this week.

 

Submission for the project summary sheets is on track to be submitted on Monday 24th May in line with the timescale. The project summary includes an overview and monitoring information for each project, as requested by MHCLG. Monitoring information is also to be submitted for the accelerated funding projects.

 

It will be expected that the Town Board reviews their membership as they move into the business case stage and towards the project delivery stage. Therefore, the board will be reviewed to ensure maximum benefit to the projects going forward.

161.

Accelerated Funding

Speaker: Sophie Moore

Minutes:

The Tiny forest, Railway Embankment, Phoenix Park and Market projects have all been completed. A formal update on the market will be given in June.

 

The H&G acquisition has been completed and now owned by Barnsley Council. Concern has been expressed through the email inbox and social media about preserving historical items from the building, such as signage, brickwork etc. A suggestion was put to the board to hold a community consultation / engagement about what is to be done on the site, and what historical items are to be kept. 

 

A suggestion, which can be fed into the consultation, was to keep and restore the signage, and name the square after the building. The markets could also be situated on the square once established, as well a space for events. It was expressed that the heritage is important and should be worked into any new developments, but it was also emphasised that the  building will be demolished due to its unsafe structure.

 

It was expressed that demolition and development work should closely follow the consultation to keep momentum and interest in the site. Two board members volunteered to assist with the production of the consultation.

 

A question regarding another site in Goldthorpe was raised due to no developments happening on the site. Paul to investigate this and provide an answer at the next board meeting.

 

·         Action: Paul to investigate status of development on site in Goldthorpe.

162.

Town Board Sub Group and Business Forum

Speaker: Claire Dawson

Minutes:

Letters were sent through the Chamber. This was followed up with an email which has had some responses back. A meeting was held to discuss next steps, and to consider a face-to-face approach.

163.

TIP Project Development

Speaker: Project Sponsors / All

Minutes:

The next stage is to develop the full business cases. Each project now has an assigned project manager. A walking tour took place to view areas of development in Goldthorpe, which is to be repeated on a regular basis to share ideas and best practice. The next meeting will be on 9th June. 

 

Most business cases should be completed by the end of June, with the exception of the more complicated / larger projects.

 

Progress updates on business cases will be brought to each board meeting going forward to look at one or two projects per meeting in detail.

 

Concern was raised regarding some opinions expressed over the employment site. Officers have had discussions with those concerned and have updated the website accordingly to provide further information about the site and future developments.

164.

Business Case Run Through

Speaker: Paul Clifford

Minutes:

Most business cases should be completed by the end of June, with the exception of the more complicated / larger projects.

 

Progress updates on business cases will be brought to each board meeting going forward to look at one or two projects per meeting in detail.

165.

Communications

Speaker: Mike Cotton

Minutes:

The Communications Strategy is to be brought to the next board meeting.

166.

Government Updates

Speaker: Paul Clifford

Minutes:

The expectations and dates were covered in the above item.

The submission will be asking an approximate financial profile for each financial year the projects will run over.

167.

Sheffield City Region Updates

Speaker: Jennefer Holmes

Minutes:

Nothing to report. Jennefer to update at the next meeting.

168.

Project Governance and Plan

Speaker: Elizabeth Steel

Minutes:

Nothing to report.

169.

Issues, Risks and Decisions

Speaker: Elizabeth Steel

Minutes:

No significant issues to report at the moment.

170.

Forward Plan

Speaker: Elizabeth Steel

Minutes:

As covered in items above, updates on business cases are to be brought to future meetings, and a summary document is to be submitted to MHCLG by 24th May. The team is also working on case studies for accelerated funding projects to share positive outcomes and in alignment with MHCLG.

 

The Communications Strategy is to be brought to the next board meeting, as well as an update on Markets.

 

·         Action: Jess / Elizabeth to invite Maria and Chris to the next board meeting.

171.

Any Other Business pdf icon PDF 313 KB

Speaker: All

Minutes:

We will be working on adding the new Dearne Councillors, Cllr Cain and Cllr Coates, to the board following submission of relevant documentation.

 

·         Action: Jess / Elizabeth to add Cllr Cain and Cllr Coates to the Board.

 

A glossary of terms is attached with the minutes for reading.

 

Summary of Actions:

·         Paul to investigate status of development on site in Goldthorpe.

·         Jess / Elizabeth to invite Maria and Chris to the next board meeting.

·         Jess / Elizabeth to add Cllr Cain and Cllr Coates to the Board.

·         Jess / Elizabeth to invite Tracey to the next board meeting.

 

172.

Active Travel in the Dearne

Speaker: Tracey Brewer (BMBC)

Minutes:

A detailed update was given to the board around active travel in Goldthorpe.

 

In summary, an outline business case as been submitted for an active travel route which includes Goldthorpe. A full business case is being developed for submission in December, to be delivered by March 2023.

 

Improvements to the station at Goldthorpe are being looked at.

 

A recent consultation was held for Goldthorpe residents for ‘Quiet Streets’, with more consultation to follow. An outline business case is to be developed for delivery by March 2022. Routes to the schemes will be shown at the next board meeting.

  

A thanks was given to Tracey and team for their work on the projects.

 

·         Action: Jess / Elizabeth to invite Tracey to the next board meeting.

173.

Housing Update

BMBC: Sarah Cartwright (BMBC)

Minutes:

A presentation was shown to the board and a detailed discussion was held regarding the housing updates given.

 

In summary, a submission is being worked on for the Housing Regeneration element of the Town Deal. The team have also been working with SCR to secure further funding, concentrating on Goldthorpe and the Town Centre. Funding is being looked at for the other unoccupied building in Goldthorpe which has been raised in previous meetings by board members.

 

Funding has also been secured for feasibility and development works, and the pre-1919 masterplan. Best options are to be looked at for feasibility and development works, with a wider consultation to be held at a later date.  

 

Sarah was thanked for her presentation, and the team were thanked for their work on the projects.