Agenda and minutes

Central Area Council - Monday, 14th May, 2018 3.00 pm


modern.gov app available
View upcoming public committee documents on your iPad, Android Device or Windows 10 with the free modern.gov app.

Venue: Meeting Room 2, Barnsley Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Peter Mirfin  Council Governance Officer

Items
No. Item

36.

Declaration of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

Minutes:

There were no declarations of pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests.

37.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting of Central Area Council held on 12th March, 2018 (Cen.14.05.2018/2) pdf icon PDF 84 KB

Minutes:

The meeting received the minutes from the previous meeting of Central Area Council held on 12th March, 2018.

 

RESOLVED that the minutes of the Central Area Council held on 12th March, 2018 be approved as a true and correct record.

38.

Area Profile Presentation (Cen.14.05.2018/3) pdf icon PDF 6 MB

Minutes:

Liz Pitt, Business Intelligence Advisor was welcomed to the meeting to give a presentation of available data relating to the Central Area.

 

The presentation covered demographic trends in the area; deprivation; skills, training and employment; poverty; and health and wellbeing.

 

With regards to the changing ethnicity in the area, it was noted that for adults the only available information was the 2011 census, and therefore children registered in school with English as an additional language was suggested as a proxy.

 

It was suggested that trend data could be provided, which could help to show whether the ethnicity in the area was changing.

 

When considering Experian data, Members noted the high proportions of residents in the groups ‘transient renters’ and ‘vintage value’.

 

Members noted the higher than Barnsley and National average figures for Free School Meals, and questioned why proportions for Education and Health Care Plans were relatively high for primary school pupils when compared to secondary.  It was thought that there could be secondary pupils waiting for assessment, and that the process for assessment in primary school may be better than in previous years.

 

Attention was drawn to the trends in attainment from early years foundation stage through to key stage 4 and those Not In Education, Employment or Training (NEET) post 16.

 

The meeting considered the numbers of residents out of work in the area, with the proportion being higher than Barnsley and nationally.  Within the area there were significant variations between wards for child and fuel poverty.  It was thought that poverty was increasing in the area and therefore work had been arranged to improve the dataset.

 

Health statistics were discussed, including risk factors causing premature deaths, with smoking, high blood pressure and high cholesterol being the three greatest factors.

 

Other health information, including excess winter deaths, and mortality rates from cancer, respiratory disease, and cardiovascular diseases were considered.  It was again noted that there were significant variances between wards.

 

With regards to loneliness, data relating to ‘hot spots’ identified by Age UK was discussed, as were the numbers of men 25-49 living alone

 

A number of comments were made in relation to the data, which often had time lags and was therefore not up to date, however it was noted that this was the most recent available.

 

RESOLVED That thanks be given for the presentation.

 

39.

Procurement and Financial Update (Cen.14.05.2018/4) pdf icon PDF 504 KB

Including flytipping proposal, and family support intervention update

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The item was introduced by the Area Council Manager, who referred to the previous item. Members were asked to consider the priorities of the Area Council, and whether these remained valid in light of additional data and local intelligence.   Members confirmed that the existing priorities would remain for 2018/19.

 

In relation to issues of loneliness in men, recent feedback from My Best Life had suggested that this had been identified as an emerging issue. A suggestion was made to invite My Best Life to a future meeting of the Area Council to discuss this and other emerging issues in more detail.

 

Members discussed other issues within the area, including issues with cohesion, and residents being less tolerant.   It was noted that the Area Council had recently agreed a Service Level Agreement (SLA), which would support new tenants and hopefully assist with this issue.  In addition a suggestion was made to undertake an exercise with Berneslai Homes, the scope of which could consider issues such as these.

 

The Area Council Manager provided an update in relation to the SLA to support new tenants, and shift allowance had now been removed from the post, which would reduce the cost correspondingly.  The post had been advertised with a closing date of 25th May for applications.

 

Members questioned whether this would duplicate existing work, but assurances were given that detailed discussions had taken place with services already in operation to ensure that work was complementary.  

 

The attention of Members was then drawn to appendix 2, and the outcome of work undertake by the Central Area Fly-tipping working group, and subsequent discussions with the Safer Neighbourhood Services and Neighbourhood Services in order to address the issue of household fly-tipping in the area.   A proposal was submitted to create a service to focus on the enforcement of household fly tipping, and education at an individual and neighbourhood level.  This would focus on ‘hot spot’ areas and be overseen by a steering group comprising of Central Area Council Members, and representatives from the Central Area Team, Safer Neighbourhood Service, and Neighbourhood Services.

 

Issues such as the under-reporting of fly tipping were discussed.  It was suggested that further development of reporting mechanisms and the areas to be targeted could be undertaken through a workshop, and brought back to a future meeting of the Area Council.

 

In relation to the family support priority, the Area Council Manager referred to discussions with the Family Centre staff, Public Health Specialist Midwife and the Healthy Child Programme Lead.  Here the issue of low level mental health, or emotional wellbeing, of new parents had been highlighted.  It was suggested that this could significantly impact on effective parenting, and the individuals concerned were unlikely to engage with work happening in Family Centres or be involved with a family support worker. 

 

It was suggested that this would build on the work of the service provided by Homestart, and that early intervention in this area could lead to better outcomes for the family, and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 39.

40.

Quarter 4 Performance Management Report (Cen.14.05.2018/5) pdf icon PDF 59 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Area Council Manager drew the attention of Members to the report circulated.  The performance against all contracts was satisfactory.  It was noted that patrolling hours for the contract with Kingdom Security were at 93%, and the number of Fixed Penalty Notices issued had reduced.  It was thought that this was due to staff changes.

 

RESOLVED that the report be received.

41.

Consideration of Boroughwide Services Delivered Locally - Update (Cen.14.05.2018/6) pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Minutes:

Members were referred to the report as circulated, and the details of the work previously undertaken as set out in the table at 3.4 of the report was noted.

 

Discussion then turned to the future programme of work, with suggestions that Neighbourhood Services be revisited around September, 2019 once restructure had been fully operational for six months.  In addition it was suggested that the Family Centre/ Family Support Service be reconsidered in October 2018, and the Safer Neighbourhood Service in September, 2018.


Members agreed that consideration of Berneslai Homes services would be pertinent, but that the scope of the exercise needed to be well defined to be most productive.  It was therefore suggested that Members forward their suggestions to the Area Chair or Area Council Manager, and if these provided no real consensus then a workshop be convened to discuss the scope between Central Area Council Members.

 

RESOLVED:-

(i)            That the update on current exercises to consider boroughwide services delivered locally be noted;

(ii)          That the future programme of exercises be supported;

(iii)         That Members forward their thoughts on the scope of the exercise with Berneslai Homes to the Area Chair or Area Council Manager.

42.

Notes of the Ward Alliances (Cen.14.05.2018/7) pdf icon PDF 304 KB

Central – held on 28th March, 2018

Dodworth – held on 27th February, and 20th March, 2018

Kingstone – held on 11th April, 2018

Stairfoot – held on 12th March, and 9th April, 2018

Worsbrough – held on 7th March, 2018

 

Minutes:

The meeting received the notes of the meetings of the following Ward Alliances within the Central Area:- Central Ward Alliance, held on 28th March; Dodworth Ward Alliance held on 27th February and 20th March; Kingstone Ward Alliance held on 11th April; Stairfoot Ward Alliance held on 12th March and 9th April; and Worsbrough Ward Alliacne held on 7th March.

 

RESOLVED that the notes of the Ward Alliances be received.

43.

Report on the Use of Ward Alliance Funds (Cen.14.05.2018/8) pdf icon PDF 79 KB

Minutes:

The attention of Members was drawn to the levels of finance expended in 2017/18 and the remaining for allocation in 2018/19 within each the Ward Alliance Funds.  These were as follows:-

 

Central Ward Alliance Fund - £19,855.29

Dodworth Ward Alliance Fund - £18,685.00

Kingstone Ward Alliance Fund - £20,869.00

Stairfoot Ward Alliance Fund - £20,505.00

Worsbrough Ward Alliance Fund - £22,874

 

RESOLVED that the report be received.